[development] the new standard RSS icon

Theodore Serbinski tss24 at cornell.edu
Fri Dec 23 21:54:05 UTC 2005

Ok guys, with all of the improvements to the feed system in 4.7, I
have one more suggestion to really wrap things up and help Drupal to
be forward thinking in this area. There is a new push to standardize
the RSS icon, and if you haven't heard, Microsoft, has adopted the
*same* icon as Mozilla, that little orange icon. Yes, it's true,
something *both* browsers will share in common. Wow, progress, at
last!

Read more about that here:
http://mattbrett.com/archives/2005/12/the-new-standard-feed-icon/

So I motion that we do this for the final release of 4.7, that we
include this new icon by default and get rid of the crummy XML icon.
If you read that above article, it makes a lot of sense, does the term
"XML" mean anything but to developers? We could certainly adopt either
an orange or blue icon (could be theme specific, I'll leave that up to
guys) but here is the link for icons:

http://feedicons.com/

This is not so much a patch but a change in icons so I wanted to throw
this out there. If everyone agrees, we can create an issue and get
this committed. It should be trivial to implement, but as Drupal 4.7
sites are widely deployed next year, the affects of this icon will be
much more impressive.

And speaking of which, to go along with this, I think we should throw
in a patch that puts this icon in a promiment place, instead of merely
at the bottom of the page. Perhaps we can throw this at the top of
feed pages (top of the node page for example). Still leave it
themeable but change the default a bit. Just my 2 cents.

Happy Holidays all!

ted (aka m3avrck)