[development] Counterintuitive but true: Caching makes a high-traffic site slower

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Fri Dec 30 16:11:02 UTC 2005

Got it. Clear now.

See here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/converting-tables-to-innodb.html

"The fastest way to alter a table to InnoDB is to do the inserts directly to
an InnoDB table. That is, use ALTER TABLE ... TYPE=INNODB, or create
an empty InnoDB table with identical definitions and insert the rows with
INSERT INTO ... SELECT * FROM ...."

Seems a script with show tables, then alter table does the trick.

InnoDB involves  creating a table space a la Oracle though, so there is more
preparatory work that has to be done.