[development] why locale import is slow and a memory eater?

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Sat Dec 31 12:15:32 UTC 2005

On 30 Dec 2005, at 23:13, Gabor Hojtsy wrote:
> And here comes the question. Now, if a PO file is broken for any
> reason,
> the real SQL import process is skipped. But whether the file is broken
> at some point is only possible to tell, if we parse the file up to
> that
> point. If the SQL changes are made incrementally, then the PO file
> would
> end up half-imported. Question is if it is a problem or not. I think
> this is a minor problem, since you are supposed to upload a
> translation
> which you are about to use, so if your po file is broken it is not a
> problem that it is half imported, you should fix and try again.

Good analysis; it matches my own observations.  I don't think a
partial import is a problem.  Quite the contrary; I'd rather have 99%
of the strings translated than 0% of the strings.  I could translate
the offending strings manually, or if I'm lucky, the offending
strings are only accessible for the administrator, or they are part
of some disabled feature(s).

> BTW first to upload files on a hosted environment, this
> open_basedir compatibility patch needs to get it:
> http://drupal.org/node/5961

I had a quick look at this but it might need some more work; see
issue.  Thanks for the carefully written patches and analysis, Goba.