[drupal-devel] settings inconsistencies

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Tue Feb 1 19:35:52 UTC 2005

>> I have just seen while reviewing my Drupal HEAD update diff, that the
>> profile admin pages have been moved from the user admin area to the
>> general module admin area. What is the rationale behind this? Content
>> settings are under the content menu item, comments similarly. Why are
>> profiles moved to the general module admin?
>
> They were moved to give them greater attention. Admins were missing that
> feature entirely. They did not think of profile setup as Users =>
> Configure.
>
> I think this is a matter of taste, and possibly not worth debating.

It is a matter of consistency I think. Now we have object focused admin
interfaces (eg. content, where you can set content options, review
content, etc). Similarly for comments. And then we have task oriented
admin interfaces, which means basically anything under admin >>
settings. Chx also pointed this out before, and it seemed that Drupal is
going to the object based direction to utilize tabs (local tasks related
to objects) instead of cluttering the menu. Now this change goes in the
other direction.

Goba