[drupal-devel] settings inconsistencies

Andre Molnar mcsparkerton at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 2 06:39:30 UTC 2005

Okay,

I'm a little late to this debate, but I just updated my demo site with
all of the latest drupal updates (BTW the many changes from the last few
days alone are going to make 4.6 an awesome release - hats off to
everyone - but that is a different topic - ).

1) Why in the world is there still a 'settings' menu item with sub-items
for modules?

A great number of module's settings are directly under administer - what
makes them so special? - or rather what makes those modules listed under
administer->settings less worthy of a top level position?

Why not rename 'settings' to 'Drupal settings' and move everything
currently under 'settings' to be directly under administer?

2) Regarding 'user' settings.  Taking access control out of the local
task (tabs) of users is a good idea.  Likewise taking profile settings
out of the local task is a good thing.  But all three things are still
related to users - and now they are in three different places (logically
and visually).

Call me crazy - but why not have:

Administer
-> Users
   -> User access control
   -> User profile settings

If the answer is "That is too many clicks" - Then just rename the titles
so they show up one after the other in the Administer menu.

Yes talk is cheap - so I'll stop typing and start looking at the code to
at very least get the user settings closer to each other.

andre