[drupal-devel] Up for some serious benchmarking?

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Thu Feb 3 08:28:48 UTC 2005

Dries Buytaert wrote:
> <redLED_> so uh, if there are any takers, i can offer a playground to
> test on
> <Bart> but first you need a way to benchmark it, i'd like something
> better than ab
> <Dries_> redLED_, how long would that playground be available?
> <redLED_> lets say uh
> <redLED_> 7 - 13 of February?
> <redLED_> Dries_, 2.4Ghz Intel Pentium IV, 1GB RAM, 40GB IDE HD, 100Mbps
> Ethernet x 2
> <redLED_> Dries_, I can run load generator from Dual Intel Xeon 2.4Ghz
> w/4GB RAM and 1GigE Interface to simulate more than aquedate load.
> <Dries_> redLED_, so how would that work?  We get shell access to the
> machine, and poke you to start/stop the load generator?
> <redLED_> Dries_, you get shell access to the web machines (they're
> heading for a reinstall afterwards)
> <redLED_> and for load generator, you'll need to provide me a tarball i
> can extract and run, a shell is possible but i'll need to know the
> person interested in running it
> <redLED_> that machine is in production for other puproses which are a
> lot more evil
> <Dries_> redLED_, a tarball with?
> <redLED_> the desired benchmarking utility and preconfigured scenarios
> <redLED_> lets do this otherwise
> <redLED_> 2 x root on linux boxes + 1 x shell on faster box suitable for
> load generation
> <redLED_> i forget about it for a week
> <redLED_> and come reclaim it later

If anyone wants to help benchmark Drupal, or wants to take a lead in
this experiment, raise you hand.  If not, I might give it a go myself as
it is quite interesting to play with.  The fact such heavy machinery is
made available is a unique chance.

Personally, I am primarily interested in:

   1. Comparing Drupal 4.6 to Drupal 4.5
   2. Comparing Drupal 4.6 to Drupal 4.6 + revisions patch
   3. Comparing Drupal 4.6 to Drupal 4.6 + node-level access

I suggest that we find (or make) ourselves a decent Drupal 4.5.2
database, and that we compare it to the upgraded version of the exact
same database.

(If you have an interesting Drupal 4.5.2 database to share, let us know.
  I don't have such old copies of the drupal.org database.)

We'll want to find a good benchmark tool and create one or more
real-life test-scenarios that we can use to beat the crap out of Drupal.
   Ideas?