[drupal-devel] [feature] RSS Feeds behind Firewall

jhefmv24 drupal-devel at drupal.org
Fri Feb 4 04:31:11 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
-Version:      4.4.2
+Version:      4.5.2
 Component:    base system
 Category:     feature requests

patch for /includes/common.inc 4.5.2 version to facilitate rss feeds
behind firewall

jhefmv24

Previous comments:

May 19, 2004 - 13:01 : jhefmv24

I think the RSS feeds don't work if there is proxy server running. The
request/connection is somehow being blocked.
The connection should be made first to the proxy and once it is
established, then request can made.
I think the core function drupal_http_request() under
/includes/common.inc doesn't support this.
One workaround is change the code from:

<?php
switch ($uri['scheme']) {
  case 'http':
     //$fp = @fsockopen($uri['host'], ($uri['port'] ? $uri['port']
: 80), $errno, $errstr, 15);
?>

into:

<?php
//use proxy settings
    $fp = @fsockopen('proxy2', '8080');
?>

And then create the request by change from:

<?php
$request = "$method $path HTTP/1.0\r\n";
?>

Into:

<?php
$request = "$method ".$uri['scheme']."://".$uri['host'].$path."
HTTP/1.1\r\n";
?>

And comment out the lines:

<?php
$request .= implode("\r\n", $defaults);
?>

February 2, 2005 - 07:38 : Anonymous

Did this ever get taken care of in 4.5.2. I can't seem to get any feed
to work from behind a firewall. Getting error....
Failed to parse RSS feed Microsoft Security Info: 10060 A connection
attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond
after a period of time, or established connection failed because
connected host has failed to respond..
At home this same feed works fine, so I know it's not the feed.
Thanks,
SlackNet

February 4, 2005 - 12:24 : jhefmv24

+1 on having a facility to modify proxy settings...
here's a patch of /includes/common.inc for drupal-4.4.2 version

February 4, 2005 - 12:25 : jhefmv24

+1 on having a facility to modify proxy settings...
here's a patch of /modules/system.module for drupal-4.4.2 version

Edit: http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/7881