[drupal-devel] [feature] Where should RSS2 and RDF feeds be linked?

Steven drupal-devel at drupal.org
Sat Feb 5 00:54:59 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      4.4.2
 Component:    other
 Category:     feature requests

How does this patch fit in with the aggregator/feed changes for
extensible feeds,

Steven

Previous comments:

August 19, 2004 - 23:37 : Nick Nassar

One major stumbling block we've come across in moving DownhillBattle.org
from WordPress to Drupal is that WordPress supports RDF, RSS.92, RSS2,
and ATOM feeds. We have lots of people using each of the different
types of feeds, and we don't want to disrupt them. Drupal core only
supports RSS.92, with a contributed module for ATOM support.
Support for RSS2 and RDF feeds would make it much easier for many
people to switch to Drupal.

August 20, 2004 - 20:03 : Nick Nassar

The RSS.92 feed is located at node/feed. The custom module for ATOM
feeds is locates them at atom/feed.
If we follow the convention set by the atom feed module, the new feeds
should go in rss2/feed and rdf/feed. The other logical option seems to
be linking the new feeds at node/feed/rss2 and node/feed/rdf.
Any preferences either way?

August 25, 2004 - 17:58 : Nick Nassar

Here are really basic RSS2 and RDF modules that link from /rss2 and /rdf

August 25, 2004 - 19:36 : erikhopp

is this patch applied?
fyi: if you add a patch to an open issue, you should mark it
status:patch, then when it is approved, the approver sets it to
status:fixed.
sorry if it actually is applied, but i don't see any indication that it
is on the devel list...
i hope the downhillbattle.org stuff is going well!
erik

August 26, 2004 - 06:27 : Anonymous

Are these module suitable for CVS version?

August 27, 2004 - 01:06 : Anonymous

I found these module can't pass the Feed Validator, problems are on the
time tag, have futher pattch more?
thansk.
 I really think it should be include in 4..5 core.

September 1, 2004 - 23:13 : Nick Nassar

Changing status to active

September 2, 2004 - 01:13 : Nick Nassar

The feeds now pass the Feed Validator.

September 2, 2004 - 02:29 : drumm

I have to say -1.
Sorry I haven't been able to be more involved in this issue, but I can
tell you what I don't like about the current implmentation:
-makes 2 places to maintain code (node views and feeds) into four
-makes 2 levels of feeds, core node functionality and addon modules
-the feeds still aren't extensible (although that could be another
issue)
-this only adds feeds for the front page when there are many more feeds
-its not for drupal cvs
Having said that, this code would be perfect in the contributinos CVS
repository in sandbox/yourusername/... It should be published, but I
think we can do better before Drupal 4.6 (most realistic place to
target this functionality for Drupal core), so it doesn't need to be a
full module.
I will have a chance to describe my ideas in some detail on the
drupal-devel mailing list at some point, maybe sooner if I get poked
enough.

Edit: http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/10203