[drupal-devel] [feature] Separating forum blocks

Goba drupal-devel at drupal.org
Wed Feb 9 15:43:00 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    forum.module
 Category:     feature requests

kbahey, please! You need to wrap the literal string into t(), and not a
variable, so the extractor can pick it up. Otherwise +1 on separating
forum blocks. Also renamed the issue to reflect this goal.

Goba

Previous comments:

February 5, 2005 - 19:54 : kbahey

I have implemented a patch that adds two new features for the forum
module block.
The options provide more granularity for the forum block, when the
admin can select to show only active topics, or new topics, or both.
Patch is attached.

February 6, 2005 - 06:10 : kbahey

If only one option is selected, then having two headers is a bit
redundant.
Hence, this 2nd version of the patch eliminates this, and only displays
two headers if the two checkboxes are selected.

February 6, 2005 - 11:01 : Dries

Your patch is reversed and does not conform our coding standards.  Won't
commit.

February 6, 2005 - 13:29 : Bèr Kessels

-1 from me. I am fighting aginat new options :).
What i would like much better, is when you add two new blocks, then you
(a) Do not need additional options in the settings sections,  and
(b)leave that to the blocks adminstration.
Bèr

February 6, 2005 - 14:33 : kbahey

Dries,
Can you explain more what you mean by 'reversed' ? Do you mean that the
patch works the opposit of what it should do? Or you mean 'backed out'?
Also, can you be more specific about how it is not up to coding
standards?
Ber,
I understand your reluctance for new options. Your suggestion of two
blocks is a better solution. I will give it a thought.

February 6, 2005 - 14:45 : Junyor

I was looking at this exact issue last night.  There should be two
separate blocks enabled/disabled through the block administration page.
That leaves one option on the forum settings page about blocks: # of
items to show.  I think that option is something that should be more
integrated into block administration and available for all blocks
(where applicable) rather than just the forums block.  I've had to hack
code just to change the number of items in a block, which isn't
user-friendly at all.

February 6, 2005 - 16:32 : kbahey

Here is a patch that makes them two blocks, one for active, and one for
new.
The admin can select either or both, and place each in a different
place. Thanks for Ber for his suggestion.
I understand now what Dries meant by reversed. It is corrected now.

February 6, 2005 - 19:57 : Junyor

Don't forgot to remove the settings from the forum settings.  And set
this issue to patch. :)

February 6, 2005 - 21:44 : kbahey

Changing to patch.
There are no settings in this one.

February 6, 2005 - 22:19 : Junyor

Right.  I meant remove the current settings.

February 6, 2005 - 23:52 : Junyor

Nevermind, I see that the settings are removed.  +1 for this patch.
Applies cleanly to 4.5.2, too.

February 7, 2005 - 20:10 : drumm

+1
However, I think this patch was made against 4.5.x and not CVS. There
are some changes to the block hook which move the settings which I see
are not properly handled by this code. I would guess that it does not
apply.

February 8, 2005 - 03:26 : kbahey

Here is the patch against CVS HEAD.
I have no CVS installation at present, so this is not tested.
Can someone please test it and report here?

February 8, 2005 - 05:50 : tangent

The patch applies. It does not comply with the style guidelines though.
The spacing and use of tabs is incorrect.
Also, this patch removes the option of having both types of forum links
in the same block in favor of putting them in separate blocks. I think
it makes sense to leave them in the same block and this removes the
temptation to use block titles of the form "Forum: Active topics" which
isn't very consistant or elegant.

February 8, 2005 - 15:05 : Bèr Kessels

tangent: Drupal has no other blocks that contain two differten lists. It
does also not have two different ficuntions in one block either.
In other words: having a (forum) block that has two lists, is very
inconsistant, much more that two different titles.
Can we not change the titles into:
Active forum topics
New forum topics
so +1 for moving them into their own blocks, and -1 from keeping them
in one block with more config options.

February 8, 2005 - 15:07 : Anonymous

Yeah, changing the titles to:
Active forum topics
New forum topics
would be preferable.

February 8, 2005 - 15:20 : stefan nagtegaal

I have to agree with Ber on this one.
As i think the functionality is quite handy for some sites, I am
against having options for everything. The best solution in this way
will be - as Ber suggests - having two blocks. for an example of how
multiple blocks could be implemented in a module, take a look at the
block example page of drupaldocs.org [1], which is very clear..
Besides that, please take some time to let your code be as we want it
to be: Coding standards [2]
[1] http://drupaldocs.org/api/head/function/block_example_block
[2] http://drupal.org/book/view/318

February 8, 2005 - 17:18 : tangent

"
Can we not change the titles into:
Active forum topics
New forum topics

"
I was going to suggest these block titles at first but I thought it
might be better to keep all forum stuff in a single block. I don't
think its that important though so +1 on those block title changes.

February 8, 2005 - 19:08 : kbahey

Thanks for stefan for pointing out the coding standards, rather than
just stating that my code is not compliant with them.
I reviewed them, and they are not to my personal liking (e.g. braces
are K&R style and not on the same column and on a line by themselves,
...etc.). However, a standard is a standard, whether we like it or not.
Conforming to a less than ideal standard is better than no standard at
all. So, I will stick to them, since they are the way of doing business
around here. By the way, does anyone have pointers to vim settings for
these standards?
Regarding the rest of the comments, it seems the concensus is to leave
the patch functionality as it is (two blocks, with titles as they are).

So, I am changing the style to be in conformance, and here is a patch
for that.

February 9, 2005 - 00:13 : Anonymous

Any text presented in the UI needs to be wrapped in a call to the t()
function for translation purposes.
The line
$title = 'Active forum topics';
in your patch should be changed to:
$title = t('Active forum topics');
Same problem with 'New forum topics'.
Other than that, +1.

February 9, 2005 - 00:42 : kbahey

Hello Anonymous
If you look a bit down, there is a t($title), which does the same thing
you want, to theme to the title of the block.

Edit: http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/16829