[drupal-devel] Working around node_access in node/add

Mark mark at nullcraft.org
Fri Feb 11 02:11:48 UTC 2005

Hello drupal-devel,

Lately, I've been working on the Node Relativity module, and I've come
up against some issues that I'm having trouble overcoming.  The main
thing this module does is allow parent/child relationships to exist
between nodes.  One of the features of this module is the ability to
require that a given type of node not exist unless it is a child of an
appropriate parent node.  This works all well and good from within the
module (except for the occasional bug), but when a user goes to the
"create content" page (node/add), they see listed before them every type
of node that they have permission to create.  I want to limit this view
and the menu associated with it.

This brings me to my question: How do I override what is displayed on
the node/add page or override the node_access permissions in general for
node types not defined by my module?  I know that node.module checks
node_list() and calls node_access('create',$node) on each of the node
types to see if the current user has rights to create it.  I suspect
that there's some way that I haven't seen yet that the node is mapped
back to the module that defines it.  I would like to restrict this view
even further such that users can create these nodes, but only under the
appropriate circumstances.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Howell