[drupal-devel] [task] usability: redirect to proper page after edit/delete operations

asimmonds drupal-devel at drupal.org
Sat Feb 12 00:11:43 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    base system
 Category:     tasks

With the operations column colspan=2 removed, it still leaves this at
line 942

  if (!$rows) {
    $rows[] = array(array('data' => t('No posts available.'), 'colspan'
=> '7'));
  }

which should really be colspan=6 as we have one less column now.

asimmonds

Previous comments:

January 27, 2005 - 08:18 : moshe weitzman

Here is a patch I've been wanting to finish for a while. This patch
assures that you end up on the proper page after you edit/delete a
node, comment, user, or url alias. This is true no matter if you go
through the usual interface or the admin interface. Further, if click
the 'edit' link from 3rd page of  a custom sorted view (e.g.
admin/comment&from=100&sort=asc&order=Author) you still are returned to
the right page.
The technique used here is generally available for module developers.
I've minimally enhanced drupal_goto() so that it will redirect to the
url specified in a 'destination' querystring parameter if such
parameter exists. If it does not exist, we redirect just as today. No
changes are required to existing drupal_goto() calls. A new helper
function, drupal_get_destination() was added; it helps contruct the
'destination' string which is appended to add/edit links.
The only downside I can see to this patch is that a few URLs are less
pretty than before. These urls are only shown to admins. This could
only be avoided by having each admin page implement its own way of
passing a destination, or stashing the destination in the $_SESSION. We
recently tried storing referer in $_SESSION, and it  was eventually
removed because of poor coordination when a user has multiple browser
windows open.
In addition to the above,
- I cleaned up some 'destination' handling in user login code
- I assured that after adding a new taxo term, we arrive back on the
'Add' page. That restores prior behavior

January 27, 2005 - 10:44 : stefan nagtegaal

This is another great improvement when we look at usability! Moshe, you
did a terrific job on this..
After this patch is applied every submitted page drupal_goto()'s the
page you expect it to go..
This is really one of the best patches i'd seen and tested lately, so
++ for this patch in HEAD..

January 27, 2005 - 19:12 : Dries

The code looks good, the functionality is handy but I'd like to hear
other people's thoughts on this.

January 27, 2005 - 20:19 : chx

great one. +1

January 28, 2005 - 03:05 : Bèr Kessels

It never really bothered /me/ that I was redirected to odd places, since
I have a drupal-sitemap printed in my head ;). However, asking some
clients, learned me that this patch would be greatly appreciated.
+1 from me.
One question though (not criticism!) why did you choose to do the
testing inside druopal_goto as

<?php
if ($destination = $_REQUEST['destination'] ? $_REQUEST['destination']
: $_REQUEST['edit']['destination']) {
?>

Seems odd to me to have a one-line-if inside another if.

January 28, 2005 - 03:18 : Dries

Berkes: that line is a odd, indeed.
Actually, I'm not convinced that embedding this logic in drupal_goto()
is appropriate.  Personally, I'd rather have us write:

<?php
drupal_goto($_REQUEST['destiation']);
?>

I'd like to believe it is more transparant.

February 2, 2005 - 08:46 : Dries

Committed to HEAD.  Thanks.

February 10, 2005 - 07:11 : moshe weitzman

Here is a  patch for node.module since thta hunk failed last time. Note
that I've removed the 'delete' link since it doesn't work and is mostly
obsolete with the 'mass delete' feature.
I've also added smart destination andling to the 'url alias delete'
feature.

February 11, 2005 - 08:30 : Dries

Committed to HEAD.

February 11, 2005 - 17:08 : Anonymous

You removed the "delete" link, but did not change the colspan for the
"operations" header.  We should probably remove the colspan attribute
entirely.

February 12, 2005 - 08:10 : Dries

Fixed in HEAD.  Thanks.

Edit: http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/16246