[drupal-devel] How are patches to branches handled?

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Sun Feb 13 22:16:18 UTC 2005

Gabor Hojtsy wrote:
  > Don't be afraid, other contrib module maintainers often do such changes
> in their modules on previous branches. Mostly bugfixes on old branches,
> and feature improvements on the active branch (oftentimes not HEAD),
> because they have that stable version to work with, just like you.

Part of the reason a Drupal code freeze takes up to a month or more, is
to ensure that the most popular contributions get updated to work with
the upcoming release.  So if you maintain one or more modules, and if
your schedule permits, this would be time to upgrade your modules.

I'll create a DRUPAL-4-6 tag for the contributions repository shortly
after I have announced the first Drupal 4.6.0 release candidate.  Like
that, maintainers can start branching their code when it is known to
work with Drupal 4.6.