[drupal-devel] call for arms: The Final URL regexp [tm]

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Tue Feb 15 15:13:24 UTC 2005

Hi,

We currently have loads of web-url rexexping scattered over the place. A quick
list:
check_url($value) (core)
search ranking (core)
field_url.inc (flexinode)
weblink.module (various places)
url_filter.module (filters)
probalby more, like events.

I would really like it if some regexp-guru can give me a hand with creating a
single regexp that can be used drupalwide.
What i want is either one API finction that handles all [1] or two API
functions [2]. I am working on the weblink module, but plan to make it much
better useable by drupal and its modules (an API).

[1] all :
check_url($text = NULL, $full_text = NULL)
   $text, if given, check if $text is a valid URL, return the valid url if
   TRUE, otherwise return FALSE
   $full_text, if given, check the fulltext for occurring URLS, return an
array with all found URLS:
    $return[X] = array('text'=>$url_text, //optional text found in HTML
<a>text</a>
                                   'domain'=>$base_domain,
                                   'local'=>$local_flag //if $base_domain ==
$base_url
                                   'url'=>$validated_url)

[2] two functions:
check_url($text = NULL, $full_text = NULL)  as above.
drupal_url_regexp($type)
where $type is 'url', 'mailto' or 'html' (other suggestions?)
returns a string that can be used as regular expression in preg_replace to
find a plain URL, mailto:url or an a href= URL.

Any takers?

Bèr
--
| Bèr Kessels | webschuur.com | website development |
| Turnhoutsebaan 34/3 | 2140 Antwerpen | België |