[drupal-devel] Project management contribs: Bundles: grouped modules.

Ross Kendall drupal at rosskendall.com
Fri Feb 18 14:56:18 UTC 2005

Hi Bèr,

I like your intentions to improve the way things work with modules, I
also like the idea of well-integrated 'bundles', but I also think that
the ideas need more development/discussion before we will have an
appropriate solution to the problem (out-of-hand contrib modules).

A couple of points:
- I appreciate the number and diversity of modules (even ones that are
quite similar).
- Being able to share 'special case' modules is a valuable dynamic of
the Drupal community (even if they are not all compatible).

What I think would be good would be the creation of two classes of modules:
1. 'Official' modules - these would be first class modules that provide
popular functionality, be well maintained, use standard ways of doing
things, and not conflict with any other 'official' module.
2. 'Contrib' modules - various and eclectic modules that do provide some
useful functionality, work well with the core and also all of the
'official' modules, but are not required to work together with all of
the other 'contrib' modules.

This would combine the best of both worlds - *Diversity*, and *Quality*

I think the core should stay 'lean and mean', then site admins (or
'distribution' providers) can customise the functionality of their site
by selecting from trusted 'official' modules.  Those who have particular
special needs, can choose to develop their own modules, or make use of
the shared 'Contrib' modules.

As I said before, I think bundles could be a good idea (if managed
well), but I personally don't think it will solve the problem.

Other ideas to think about:
 - module rating system
 - module popularity system
 - dependency/conflict management (package management style)

Cheers,
Ross

(Disclaimer: ideas offered solely for the purpose of discussion)