[drupal-devel] New module nameing.

Mark mark at nullcraft.org
Sat Feb 26 04:39:57 UTC 2005

Chris Cook wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:21:36 -0800 (PST), Aran Clary Deltac
><aran at arandeltac.com> wrote:
>

>>Are there any conventions to nameing modules other than all lowercase and
>>underscores instead of spaces?  I see in the current module list that some
>>patterns are emerging (like taxonomy_ and node_), but is anything
>>enforced?
>>

>Despite the number of modules that use it, an underscore in the name
>should probably be avoided.

Agreed, the risk of namespace collisions is greatly increased by using
underscores.  If I named my module "node_page", for instance, I would
think that the node_page namespace were all mine to use however I
wished, but in fact, that would possibly conflict with the node module's
various node_page_* function names.  Cheesy example, but perhaps you get
my point.

Great idea, though.

-Mark