[drupal-devel] [task] Improve story help texts

Goba drupal-devel at drupal.org
Sat Jan 15 19:10:49 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    story.module
 Category:     tasks

Well, this was a bogus fix after all. The patch removed the paragraph
tags used in some help texts. These were introduced lately in most of
the help texts to improve consistency in displaying help texts. I am
unsure however, whether such paragraphs are going to be used on node
add pages...

What is worse, that the committed patch contained the exact same
sentence sequeces three times in the code, two times identical, one
time with an extension. Being in a switch() statement, it is quite
simple to overcome the duplicate, and it is also not hard to watch out
for the extended part. A patch attached to remedy this.

BUT this still does not restore the paragpraph wrapping around the help
text in the admin helps, since I am unsure, whether that would be
applicable to the 'node add' page descriptions.

Goba

Previous comments:

January 7, 2005 - 14:19 : Bèr Kessels

Because of historical reasons the story module help contained all sortts
of odd texts, that are partly even untrue.

This patch changes the help so that it:
* stresses that stories are nodes in their simplest form
* removes all the bloat about workflow. workflow can be configured for
any node type, why should nstories mention it?
* removes parts of voting, queues, promotion, comments etc. Any node
type can have this.
* adds a note that you can use stories for personal blogging, and as
general pages, pages with no specific purpose (I consider, for example,
a forum node a node with a special purpose)
* stresses that you should use other modules (taxonnomy, menu) to give
the node a place on your site.

set to CVS but will apply to 4.5 too.....

January 10, 2005 - 17:41 : Bèr Kessels

previous patch was the one before spellchecking. This one is without the
two spelling errors.

January 10, 2005 - 20:29 : Dries

Can someone review this please?

January 12, 2005 - 14:53 : Bèr Kessels

After some discussion on the drupal-docs ML, i came up with the
following help-texts:

Short:
Stories are articles in their simplest form: they have a title, a
teaser and a body, but can be extended by other modules. The teaser is

part of the body too. Stories may be used as a personal blog or for
news
articles.

Longer:
Stories are articles in their simplest form: they have a title, a
teaser and a body, but can be extended by other modules. The teaser is

part of the body too. Stories may be used as a personal blog or for
news
articles. By default, no menu item, or navigation element is
created for a story.  An extra feature of a
story is, that an administrator can specify a submission guideline and

enforce a minimum word count for user submitted stories

January 13, 2005 - 20:42 : Dries

This patch doesn't apply against HEAD.

patching file modules/story.module
Hunk #1 FAILED at 14.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 26.
modules/story.module.rej

January 14, 2005 - 23:55 : Bèr Kessels

AARHGH, such a simple patch, so much hassle. My mistake, uplaoded the
wrong one again.

This one should be right.

January 15, 2005 - 00:05 : Bèr Kessels

**sigh**