[drupal-devel] [task] taxonomy: make node type a separatw table

killes drupal-devel at drupal.org
Tue Jan 18 23:39:00 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    taxonomy.module
 Category:     tasks

Ok, another patch. Upgrade path is tested (We apparently cannot have two
updates on the same day). I also removed a bug that would not show you
node types if you assigned vocabs to a node type and later disabled the
module. You will no longer lose this assignment when editing the
vocabulary.

killes at www.drop.org

Previous comments:

April 1, 2004 - 00:33 : killes at www.drop.org

I wanted to add caching by a static variable to
taxonomy_get_vocabularies(). While I was doing this, I remembered a
discussion about putting the node types in their own table and
extended
the patch to do this.
A problem is that all selects on the vocabulary table will no longer
contain the node types. Does anybody know of where this might cause
problems? taxonomy_get_vocabularies() will also not return the node
type
if called without parameter. I solved the only problem I found that
was caused by this.

The patch is incomplete, it does not contain update information and
database schemes. It also isn't tested. I'd like to get some feedback
on the implementation.

August 12, 2004 - 16:40 : killes at www.drop.org

Doesn't apply anymore.

January 18, 2005 - 21:50 : killes at www.drop.org

I've updated the patch, but the upgrade path is still missing.

Related issues:

http://drupal.org/node/15690
http://drupal.org/node/6357
http://drupal.org/node/12542

January 18, 2005 - 22:48 : killes at www.drop.org

Removed static caching, addedupgrade path.

January 18, 2005 - 23:20 : killes at www.drop.org

New version. Removes taxonomy_get_vocab_by_name. Wasn't used.

January 18, 2005 - 23:23 : tangent

Are you sure no modules use get_vocab_by_name? I know that the
mailhandler module allows specifying a taxonomy by name instead of by
id.

January 18, 2005 - 23:29 : killes at www.drop.org

Yes, I am sure. grep is my friend. To be honest: metatags module uses
it, but that isn't really maintained.
mailhandler lets users add taxo _terms_ by name not vocabs.

January 18, 2005 - 23:36 : tangent

That's true about the terms versus vocalulary. My bad. I guess I'm still
getting used to the whole taxonomy system.

Edit: http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/6847