[drupal-devel] [bug] form_weight should use dleta:15 in book outline admin

Ross Kendall drupal at rosskendall.com
Wed Jan 19 19:25:46 UTC 2005

Boris Mann wrote:
>>In book-pages node forms we use a delta of fifteen (-15 to +15)  but in
>>the book-outline admin we dont dewfine this, resulting in a default
>>delta of ten. This should be consistent and thus both 15.
>>Bèr Kessels
>>

>Actually, the delta should be infinite, weight should only be used
>internally, and we should have +/-, up/down arrows :P
>
>(And a javascript, drag-and-drop version from Chris Messina)

When I saw the post I thought the same thing :)

One advantage of seeing the numbers though is that those items with the
same number get sorted alpha-numerically, so even if the interface is a
bit geeky it works like a breeze.

I started thinking and got even more carried away!  (warning to stop
reading :) )
If the default weight is 0, we could then have a default sort
(alpha-numeric asc or desc) as a main option, then for each item the
option to 'send to top' (or something) and 'send to bottom'.  The 'send
to top' could use the negative weights, while the 'send to bottom' could
use the positive weights.  Multiple items at the top or bottom could
then be sorted with up/down arrows etc.  This arrangement would allow
mixing fixed sorting and automatic sorting.

Well, just an idea.