[drupal-devel] Dealing with spam

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 08:28:05 UTC 2005

(cc'ing Matt Mullenweg)

Well the idea in coordinating our efforts to fight spam comes down to:

1) leveraging the huge open source community: the spammers are a large
community in and of themselves -- surely with our collective efforts,
we can stay one step ahead of them? perhaps we could even develop new
spamming techniques just to eradicate them!
2) show that open source processes work for solving real world problems
3) show that OS is "growing up"
4) protect our websites from spammers (we're all vulnerable after all)
5) we all stand to benefit collectively by obsoleting spammer's
tactics -- if only Drupal or WordPress has spam protection, then there
are still other OS platforms out there that are vulnerable
6) the anti-spam project could serve as a model for future collaboration

There are plenty more benefits, but those strike me off the top of my head.

Chris