[drupal-devel] [feature] Menu fast edit node links

Bèr Kessels drupal-devel at drupal.org
Tue Jan 25 13:17:14 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    menu system
 Category:     feature requests

+1 on the feature, I use menu_otf all the time.
-1 for the javascript. Not that i am against it, ion contrary. I think
we should not start implementing JS on a per-case basis, but we should
introduce a javascript system that can do your accordeon-magick on any
element.
So it should wait IMO.

Bèr Kessels

Previous comments:

July 9, 2004 - 18:15 : mathias

When developers are creating custom menus, the process of adding content
becomes twofold:

1. Create content
2. Navigate to administer > menus > add menu item and add the latest
node entry

This patch adds a link hook to the menu module. Specifically if a node
does not have a menu entry the 'add menu item' link appears. If a menu
item exists, the 'edit menu item' and 'delete menu item' are displayed
thereby speeding up the publishing workflow.

Note: This feature is only present when the menu module is enabled.

July 10, 2004 - 18:21 : JonBob

This is interesting. I do have a couple reservations.

This adds a bunch of queries to node listing pages, since it has to
check for every node whether that node has a menu item set.

I also wonder how much time this saves the user in reality. It saves
navigating to the menu admin screen, sure, but provides little other
help. It seems that if we are to provide a link to the menu item add
page, we should at least be pre-filling in the path and title fields
for the user. The provided method is little better than having the menu
admin page open in another browser tab.

Maybe a node link isn't the right interface for this, anyway? Possibly
a tab, or a hook_nodeapi('form admin') injection? If done right, this
could finally replace that aging "link title" field in page.module
nodes.

January 24, 2005 - 22:23 : mathias

This new patch gives users the ability to define menu items on any node
creation/editing form. Screenshot here:

http://asitis.org/tmp/menu_quick_link_form.png [1]

It does this through nodeapi (as suggested by Jonbob), which means that
any node has access to these fields unless specified otherwise via the
new menu configuration settings.

The functionality lives in menu.module, and users with 'administer
menus' permission are allowed to edit the menu item fields inside the
node form.

One more note. I'm also proposing the addition of a misc/drupal.js [2]
file to Drupal core (* gasp *). Currently it includes javascript
functions to hide regions of a page. When a link is clicked on for a
collapsed region, the region unfolds revealing the additional parts of
a page. In this case the menu item fields are displayed after clicking
the 'Menu item settings' link. I think it helps make best use of screen
real estate, but we'll leave that verdict up to the usability experts.

Let's remove the js file if it's the only thing stopping this patch
from being submitted. I thought it might be worth exploring, especially
for form pre and form post regions of the node form.
[1] http://asitis.org/tmp/menu_quick_link_form.png
[2] http://asitis.org/tmp/drupal.js

January 24, 2005 - 22:34 : mathias

Woops. Setting status to 'patch'.