[drupal-devel] [task] Improve access rules UI

drumm drupal-devel at drupal.org
Tue Jan 25 20:03:13 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    user.module
 Category:     tasks

Flipped around the overview table column titles.

Made the fields side-by-side using an extra id, 3 divs, and some
drupal.css.

I'm still not sure form_group is right. To be consistwent with the
input formats admin it should be h3. And a form group is really for
grouping things within a form, not a whole form.

Maybe this page should be moved so it has top level local tasks for
these actions. Fitting all three things on one page is a bit much.

drumm

Previous comments:

January 25, 2005 - 13:06 : drumm

Here is a screenshot.

January 25, 2005 - 13:14 : drumm

This patch implements
http://kika.trip.ee/images/drupal_tabs_accessrules-183.png.

Differences from mockup, most are noted in the mockup as something
unclear or needing more work:
- The columns are ordered such that when read from left to right they
make sense.
- The form is ordered the same way.
- The two radio button groups are not side by side.
- The help text is better.
- There are no nice icons. (The watchdog 'stop' icon is nice, but it
has 'watchdog' in the filename. There is nothing green.)
- Used an h3 tag instead of a form group, which is more consistent
across Drupal.
- Added the check rules UI at the bottom.

January 25, 2005 - 13:14 : drumm

Setting status to patch.

January 25, 2005 - 13:36 : Dries

Tres cool!

However, I do think form_group()s might help unclutter the interface.
On your screenshot (and on my local test site using Chameleon) it is
hard to see where each part of the page starts (and ends).  The visual
difference between the headers and the form titles are too small to be
confortable.  I like Kristjan's form_group()s better.

January 25, 2005 - 13:39 : Dries

BTW, it looks like you switched 'Rule type' and 'Access type' in the
overview table.

Edit: http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/16176