[drupal-devel] Remove admin.module

Todd Grimason todd at slack.net
Tue Jan 25 21:48:39 UTC 2005

* B?r Kessels <berdrupal at tiscali.be> [2005-01-25 13:02]:
> Op dinsdag 25 januari 2005 18:50, schreef Carl McDade:
> > ote no on this being removed. Drupal desperately needs a control
> > panel page rather than a block adminstration list. This module suits
> > that purpose. It just needs to be developed.
>
> Its very much debateable if we actually really want an admin-panel. I for one
> do not want this at all. There are much cleaner *and modular*  methods
> available.

This is a contentious issue as Ber hints at here. Newcomers may not
know that once upon a time (4.3?) there was a separate "control panel"
or admin side to Drupal sites; clearly the "combine them all into the
public UI" side won that debate.

Perhaps a suitable solution could be setting a CSS id attribute
('is_admin'?) to be used in the HTML body tag so that those who want
to could format admin pages differently? Or some other sort of CSS
flag?

I personally find having to squeeze/use all the admin forms and
layouts within the public site layout troublesome, but maybe this
would be a solution to allow both usages? I imagine the difficulty
occurs in deciding which actions are "admin" actions or just user or
contributor actions. Probably somewhat ambiguous. Thoughts?