[drupal-devel] [task] Admin help in core modules

Dries drupal-devel at drupal.org
Fri Jul 1 05:40:06 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      4.6.2
 Component:    other
 Category:     tasks

Quick review:

1. We don't glue words together: %administerprofile should be
%administer-profile, %administerwatchdogevents should be
%administer-watchdog-events, etc.

2. We try not to abbreviate words: %stats should be %statistics.

3. We don't use spaces in a href-tags!
Wrong:

4. Why has this line been added: error_reporting(E_ERROR | E_PARSE);?

5. You can't write "administer >> menus >> add menu" without escaping
the >>'s.  In results in invalid XHTML.

6. Writing "administer >> menus >> add menu" is dangerous because these
paths are dynamic (eg. they can be changed using the menu module).  I
guess it is uncommon though.

7. You changed settings.php.

8. We should avoid using the word "node" in user-level documentation.
We try to use "post" or "content".

9. Some title-attributes of the a href-tag start with a capital letter,
some with a small letter.  Most title-attribute are useless; they don't
add any value.  In fact, they are often less descriptive than the
content enclosed in the a href-tag.  At least *90%* of all
title-attributes can be *removed*!

Examples:

title)
title)
taxonomy >> add vocabulary</a> (useless title)
taxonomy">administer >> taxonomy</a> (useless title)

Dries

Previous comments:

July 1, 2005 - 02:02 : Robin Monks

This patch adds help text to all core modules per the information at
http://drupal.org/node/24768.  This patch should be applied to 4.6.x
and CVS HEAD.

Robin

+1: No broken links.  Easy access to core module help is going to make
Drupal much more accessible / lower the learning curve.

Andrew