[drupal-devel] [feature] create system option to prevent users from changing the theme

Bèr Kessels drupal-devel at drupal.org
Mon Jul 4 21:31:19 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/26302
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/26302

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      4.6.0
 Component:    system.module
 Category:     feature requests

you indeed misunderstood me.

We have a "enable theme" checkbox in the theme overview. That checkbos
*does not enable anything* it only gives users the opportunity to
select that theme.

Please se the screeny (sorry, Dutch locale enabled) for what I mean. Th
e second comumn. That chackbox. Just investigte its use. You will its
complete and utter cruft, that checkbox.

Ber

Bèr Kessels

Previous comments:

July 4, 2005 - 02:50 : Torenware

>From the forum thread How To Prevent Users From Changing The Theme.  I
asked:

"
I'm working on a module that uses organic groups. I want to allow
different groups to choose different themes, but I don't want
individual users to have that capability.

I'm assuming that this is easy to do, but I can't find a setting. Can
anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Rob

"
At sepeck's suggestion, I'm submitting a patch to do this.  It's
against 4.6.0, and modifies theme.inc and system.module.  It creates a
variable 'configurable_user_themes' which defaults to "enabled"
(4.6.0's current behavior), and if activated, makes system.module
remove the UI for selected a theme, and also causes theme.inc to ignore
any setting for $user->theme if it exists.

July 4, 2005 - 02:54 : Torenware

Didn't set this to "patch" initially, so I'm including the patch again.
Not sure what the procedure is just yet.

July 4, 2005 - 06:07 : TDobes

-1 -- sorry, but I feel that we should use a different method for this
sort of thing.  Any theme that is checked in the admin-> themes screen
should be selectable by users.  Modules should get their list of
available themes from list_themes(), which provides a list of all
available themes, not just those that are selected for use by users.

July 4, 2005 - 10:21 : Bèr Kessels

I think we should simply rename the "enabled" into "selecatble". Or any
better term.
For the only thing tha checkbox does is enable it for users to select.
It does not enable or disable the theme at all.

July 4, 2005 - 19:56 : Torenware

A couple of comments:

To TDobbs:  for most applications, you're right.  But for some
applications where it's important to the site that user experience is
well tested, letting individual users set the theme is something of a
nightmare; a problem with the theme is perceived as a problem with the
site.  So for /those/ sites (such as the one I'm currently working on),
 letting the user set the theme was APITA.

Still, for a community site, I agree that the current behavior is fine.
 So I made the current behavior the default.

To Bèr Kessels: Let me see if I understand what you mean.

Currently, I've coded the UI to say in its English default:
User theme settings
Configurable Themes:
*  Disabled
*  Enabled
Enable or disable user-configurable themes. When enabled, users can
set their own theme to override the site's default theme.

Would you prefer:

User theme settings
Selectable Themes:
*  Disabled
*  Enabled
Enable or disable user-selectable themes. When enabled, users can
select their own theme to override the site's default theme.

I don't really want to lose the "Disable"/"Enable" part, because if you
look at the current UI in 4.6, all similar settings are done that way.
So using a checkbox would be inconsistent with the rest of the page.

How's that?

Rob