[drupal-devel] [feature] List of bloggers

Bèr Kessels drupal-devel at drupal.org
Tue Jul 5 09:08:22 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/17030
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/17030

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    blog.module
 Category:     feature requests

That doesz not seem a patch of a patch, but a regular patch.

Igrirc, please note that the SQL contains unbracketed tablenames. That
is unacceptible. If you don't want to fix it, please report it back
here, So I can fix it otherwise :)

Bèr Kessels

Previous comments:

February 9, 2005 - 00:27 : Bèr Kessels

Small patch to show a list of bloggers. We all should know that
blog.module is not meant for personal blogging, but that set aside, we
do not have a way to show all bloggers, on a site as a list. This patch
ads a few lines that will allow you to show that overview of blogging
users. It ads a menu item, disabled by default that shows such a list.

February 9, 2005 - 00:31 : Bèr Kessels

Here is a small screeny that shows what this is about.

February 9, 2005 - 00:34 : Bèr Kessels

hmm. error in my png file. Here is a correct one.

February 19, 2005 - 21:13 : Emiliano

Hi Bèr Kessels!

Thanks for the patch! It's really useful! :-)

I just noticed what I think is a little mistake in this line:

$items[] = l($row->name, 'blog/'.$row->uid)." ".theme('xml_icon',
url('blog/'.$row->uid.'/feed'), TRUE);

Which I believe should end like:

$items[] = l($row->name, 'blog/'.$row->uid)." ".theme('xml_icon',
url*('blog/feed/'.$row->uid)*, TRUE);

Ah, and BTW,  "db_rewrite_sql" didn't work for me... I just cut it
off... ;-)

Cheers,
Emiliano.

March 17, 2005 - 23:17 : Bèr Kessels

and here is the actual patch. (i think i really need some script that
tells me i did not attach a patch ;) )

March 17, 2005 - 23:19 : Bèr Kessels

sigh. something tells me i should stop working.... a silly "F" sneaked
into the previous patch.

March 24, 2005 - 21:25 : Anonymous

I applied the patch, reuploaded the blog.module and then deactivated and
reactivated it. I cannot see a difference. How do I access the blog
users page?

Drupal 4.6rc

thanks for the help.

March 24, 2005 - 21:53 : Bèr Kessels

look in the menu admin.

May 18, 2005 - 14:38 : Bèr Kessels

Nearly two months since the patch. If there is no need for this I will
mark it won't fix.

May 18, 2005 - 14:52 : tostinni

I made a custom block for this, but it still need a little improvment
(add "read more" for example). So I don't know if it's usefull but if
anyone care :

<?php
$result = db_query("SELECT u.uid, u.name, COUNT(0) AS num FROM {node} n
LEFT JOIN {users} u ON u.uid = n.uid WHERE n.type = 'blog' GROUP BY
u.uid, u.name ORDER BY u.name ASC");
while ($blog = db_fetch_object($result)) {
     $output .= '<li />'.l($blog->name. ' ('.$blog->num.')',
'blog/'.$blog->uid);
}
return '<ul>'.$output.'</ul>';
?>

May 18, 2005 - 17:06 : Chris Johnson

I think this is a useful feature.  I've coded custom blocks in the past
to provide it on my sites.

May 21, 2005 - 06:23 : Andrzej7

I was a little afraid (poor PHP) to install the patch (March...), but I
have made a block. And it's very nice.

One question only. All the bloggers are shown, but the Admin (user No
1) is on the list and he has no blogs.

What's that?

May 22, 2005 - 17:24 : Bèr Kessels

To avoid confusion: this patch ads no blocks, but shows the list inline:
as content!

June 18, 2005 - 23:07 : igrcic

aaargh.....there is a problem when using PostgreSQL db. After I
successfully patch blog.module and enable it in menu, click on it and
following sql errors pop up:

warning: pg_query(): Query failed: ERROR:  function count(integer,
character varying) does not exist
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You may
need to add explicit type casts. in
/web/www/htdocs/iaeste3/includes/database.pgsql.inc on line 45.
user error:
query: SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT u.uid, u.name) FROM users u LEFT JOIN node
n ON n.uid = u.uid WHERE n.type = 'blog' AND n.status =1 ORDER BY
n.created DESC  in /web/www/htdocs/iaeste3/includes/database.pgsql.inc
on line 62.

warning: pg_query(): Query failed: ERROR:  for SELECT DISTINCT, ORDER
BY expressions must appear in select list in
/web/www/htdocs/iaeste3/includes/database.pgsql.inc on line 45.
user error:
query: SELECT DISTINCT u.uid, u.name FROM users u LEFT JOIN node n ON
n.uid = u.uid WHERE n.type = 'blog' AND n.status = 1 ORDER BY n.created
DESC LIMIT 10 OFFSET 0 in
/web/www/htdocs/iaeste3/includes/database.pgsql.inc on line 62

For first one its clear, there is no such fucntion in Postgresql, and
second one is typical Postgresql/Mysql error, n.created isn't in select
syntax. But if we put it in a select distinct syntax , it isn't DISTINCT
anymore, so I get lots of lines with user and all of his blogs, with
different time of course. So we must modify query a bit:
SELECT DISTINCT u.name, u.uid, MAX(n.created) as time FROM users u LEFT
JOIN node n ON n.uid = u.uid WHERE n.type = 'blog' AND n.status = 1
GROUP BY u.name,u.uid ORDER BY time DESC

It works fine like this :)

Didn't look for first one yet... will when I catch some time.
Cheers!

June 18, 2005 - 23:15 : igrcic

Sorry, here is a patch for a blog_bloggers_list_2_0.patch :)