[drupal-devel] [task] Remove an unnecessary setting in upload module

drumm drupal-devel at drupal.org
Tue Jul 5 22:14:20 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/24183
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/24183

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    upload.module
 Category:     tasks

I synced this patch with HEAD, added missing punctuation to existing
error messages, and tested. This should be ready to commit.

drumm

Previous comments:

June 2, 2005 - 12:02 : drumm

Currently the upload module checks two max file sizes. First it checks a
global option; if its too big it quits. Then it checks another max file
size (or even sizes) related to the roles which a user is in.

We can remove the global option since the individual roles are checked.

June 2, 2005 - 12:15 : drumm

Oh and this includes a refactoring which changes one undocumented
function that did two things into two documented functions that do one
thing each. Forgot about that part.

June 2, 2005 - 12:22 : Steven

Well, you're not entirely correct... upload module allows you to disable
a limit by setting it to 0. Thus, you could either want per-role
settings, or global settings. Or use the global setting for everyone,
except have one role have a stricter limit.

So we need to decide whether these are valid use cases, or just
unnecessary complexity.

June 2, 2005 - 13:21 : Bèr Kessels

I add a +1 for anything that removes complexity from the upload module.
So I +1 this change.

June 3, 2005 - 05:58 : Dries

Removing the global check is OK if we remove the '0 is
unlimited'-paradigm.  A paradigm which, by the way, is
developer-centric.  I don't mind us removing it.

June 6, 2005 - 23:34 : drumm

This revised patch should make '0' or blank mean unlimited for the per
user quota and file size limits. I have not tested it. It is not
documented in the form items. Now might be a good time to look at the
defualts for those. I still very short on time and probably won't be
able to properly revisit this for a week or so. Got to get on a plane
now.

June 6, 2005 - 23:35 : drumm

June 7, 2005 - 12:38 : Dries

I'll wait back some test report(s) then, or I'll test it myself as time
permits.

June 7, 2005 - 14:48 : drumm

Forgot the update.php chunk.

June 10, 2005 - 17:24 : Robin Monks

Tested to work on HEAD.

+1 to anything that improves on User Uploading.

Robin