[drupal-devel] New themeable function for buttons?

Kobus Myburgh ITBJDM at puknet.puk.ac.za
Thu Jul 7 10:50:19 UTC 2005

Hi,

One thing that you do not take into consideration here is the severity of the action. You are deleting something here. If the cancel is a link and the delete action is a button, you can accidentally delete an item accidentally, and that can not be undone. There is a smaller chance that you will click the wrong button if you use buttons for both items, albeit differently styled, as stated by LukeW, on the site for which the link was provided earlier by Neil.

I am still for a consistent look, though. I work and study at a university and have lots of contacts with people here, so it is not difficult to get several hundred people to test something for me. Should I get the opinion of several users (getting 300 users isn't too tough) for you? If someone will help to write a little page that will depict the three scenarios, namely buttons, links, buttons and links, and let them submit by the method they prefer, I can arrange for this to happen.

Regards,

Kobus

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Robert Douglass wrote:

> One more thought on the topic:
>
> When you offer the user two choices {Confirm | Cancel} they should both
> use the same interface. If they were both links I'd be disappointed but
> would get used to it. Mixing them up is what seems so wrong.

The point about one being a link and one being a button is that both
actions are _not_ equivalent. Users are most likely looking at the form
_because_ they want to delete (or do whatever) something, not because
they want to cancel their action.

At first I didn't like the form too, but I am now convinced that it is a
good thing.

Cheers,
	Gerhard