[drupal-devel] Install system work

Adrian Rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Mon Jul 18 20:32:28 UTC 2005

Great =).
I recommend updating the first phase patch first. It shouldn't be
that hard, it's essentially an extra install.inc file, and a small
modification to system.module.

On 18 Jul 2005, at 9:16 PM, neil at civicspacelabs.org wrote:

> I will be working on the install system proposed by Adrian at
> http://drupal.org/node/22472.
>
> I am splitting up phase 1 at that address into:
>
> * Refactor update script to
Which update script? Drupal.org update script?

>   - use the Drupal theme system
Phase 1 was using the drupal theme system ? what part of phase 1 are
you referring to?

>   - generally look nicer, maybe progress bar for example
>   - handle long updates without timing out
I think an update bar would actually do that. The problem is timeouts
happen when no new data is sent to
the browser. It would need to have a reasonable fallback though.

>   - detect if an update is needed
It already does that.

> * Let modules hook into the database update script
How would that help you ?

> * Provide hooks for modules to provide and destroy database schema for
>   automatic installation.
I think a _uninstall() hook is prudent, if not always possible. Also,
consider the fact that
the site might not have write access to the module, so actually
removing the file is very
definitely not recommended.

Also, uninstalling a node module should not affect the node data.

> Anyone got any ideas for what the upgrade screen should look like?
Yeah, but it doesn't help much without the dependency system, since
it would need to pick up which
other modules are required by it.

> -Neil

- --