[drupal-devel] [feature] Enable multiple block regions (not just"left" and "right" sidebars)

Nedjo Rogers nedjo at gworks.ca
Fri Jul 22 16:30:33 UTC 2005

[fleeting thought]

In a recent screenshot, I suggested an approach to illustrating the
location of regions on the block admin page, see:

http://drupal.org/files/issues/regions_highlighted.png

But maybe we could display the block config listings in these
highlighted places instead.  All that we currently do on the block admin
overview page is:

* enable
* set region
* set weight
* link to configuration

If we moved to an AJAX approach like that suggested, regioning and
weight would be easy and intiutive--just drag the selectable block from
region to region, or reorder within a region.  (We'd need behind the
scenes code to automatically set the weight based on block order in a
particular region.)  Sans AJAX, we would need it to gracefully degrade.
  Degraded, it might look like (caution, more ascii art coming):

  -------------------------
| Left Sidebar Region     |
|                         |
| Navigation              |
|  _                      |
| |_| Enabled             |
|  _                      |
| |_| Weight              |
|            ___________  |
|  Move to  |_________|_| |  [select box with other available regions]
|                         |
|  Configure              |
|                         |
| Syndicate               |
|  _                      |
| |_| Enabled             |
|  _                      |
| |_| Weight              |
|            ___________  |
|  Move to  |_________|_| |  [select box with other available regions]
|  Configure              |

If multiple themes were enabled, we would need to provide a link to
bring up this interface in each of the themes.

--
--------
Nedjo Rogers
nedjo at gworks.ca