[drupal-devel] [feature] Do not install a PHP code format by default

Junyor drupal-devel at drupal.org
Sat Jul 23 19:58:49 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/27330
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/27330

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    database system
 Category:     feature requests

As I figured.  -1.

Junyor

Previous comments:

Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:03:58 +0000 : chx

Those users that are advanced enough that they need PHP pages, will be
able to create a custom input format.

Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:08:42 +0000 : Bèr Kessels

+1 for the idea. Untested, though.
Chx, do yuo not need to default the node-settings?

Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:19:31 +0000 : TDobes

This is one of Drupal's best features.  Why should we hide it and/or
make things more difficult for so-called "advanced users?"  I feel that
the ability to create PHP pages and PHP blocks should be part of the
out-of-box experience. (available without any "extra steps" on a fresh
install)  A first-time user looking for this ability might get
discouraged and give up before finding the "input formats" screen and
realizing that they must create a new item.

Also, this might be a problem resulting in support requests if people
get confused and combine other filters with the PHP parser filter.

Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:45:41 +0000 : nevets

Interesting, I thought it was general disabled by default (but
installed).  I think it should be part of the default install because
it very useful in creating custom blocks and nodes.

Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:53:02 +0000 : adrian

I'm going to +1 this.

php input format is deadly.

Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:25:40 +0000 : Junyor

Just because something is powerful, doesn't mean it should be hidden
away.  How can you make custom PHP blocks without this input format?

Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:57:27 +0000 : TDobes

Junyor:  No you can't.  Which is why I'm -1'ing this.

I think the opposing argument is that people who really need to make
custom PHP blocks and/or nodes could create the input format
themselves.  However, I think this is an insult to the intelligence of
someone who knows PHP well but may not necessarily be familiar with
Drupal (yet).