[drupal-devel] Tight release cycles

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Sun Jul 24 20:33:31 UTC 2005

> Let's start making a calendar for next year's releases now and stick to it.
>
> My proposal:
>
> 2005 dec 26 code freeze (or Jan 2, 2006)
> 2006 feb 6 Drupal 4.8
> 2006 may 1 code freeze
> 2006 june 5 Drupal 4.9
> 2006 aug 28 code freeze
> 2006 oct 2 Drupal 5.0
> 2007 jan 1 code freeze
> 2007 feb 5 Drupal 5.1
>
> We always have five weeks for bug fixing and three months of features.
>
> Let's give active support for actual release and security fixes for one
> version behind and two versions back is simply not supported.

Funny, but the most interesting item for me would be the 4.7 code freeze
and release date :) I know it might be impossible to tell yet, but some
date range is probably possible to be provided. I guess more people are
like me, but they had no time yet to express that.

Anyway, back to topic, I am unsure that Drupal 5.0 should be used for
the name of the release coming after Drupal 4.9, just because the second
digit overflows. Otherwise I am +1 on a predictable release cycle. Also
three releases for 2006 seems to be good, it is more than what we are
going to do in 2005, which should be positive for Killes I guess :)

Goba