[drupal-devel] [feature] Patch to add the guid tag to the rss feed

Steven drupal-devel at drupal.org
Mon Jul 25 14:59:33 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/26223
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/26223

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    node system
 Category:     feature requests

Possible remedy: generate GUIDs by hashing the base url with the node id
(optionally the word "node" too if we use this technique elsewhere).

Steven

Previous comments:

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 07:29:30 +0000 : frjo

This patch add the guid (globally unique identifier) tag to the rss
feed. This is in line with the RSS 2.0 Specification, se below. It's a
very simpel, one line patch, to the format_rss_item function in
common.inc.

I want this personally so my news reader (NetNewsWire) can distinguish
between new and updates posts.

>From http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss

"A frequently asked question about s is how do they compare to s.
Aren't they the same thing? Yes, in some content systems, and no in
others. In some systems,  is a permalink to a weblog item. However, in
other systems, each  is a synopsis of a longer article,  points to the
article, and  is the permalink to the weblog entry. In all cases, it's
recommended that you provide the guid, and if possible make it a
have been editing changes.

"

Tue, 19 Jul 2005 06:09:38 +0000 : frjo

I made a patch for the cvs version of Drupal also. I believe this is a
smal but very nice improvement of Drupals RSS support.

Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:32:06 +0000 : Dries

guid has to be permanent.  I don't think we can guarantuee that at the
moment.  People can set URL aliases and stuff, and these changes would
change the guid.