[drupal-devel] [task] Maximum picture size help text in profile no longer needed

nysus drupal-devel at drupal.org
Wed Jul 27 12:18:07 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/27234
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/27234

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    user.module
 Category:     tasks

The big problem with displaying the dimensions and maximum size is that
if people have an image that exceeds those limits, they will not bother
to upload the image because they think they will have to open their
image editing software to do that.  Those instructions serve as an
image upload deterrent, not a help at all.

nysus

Previous comments:

Fri, 22 Jul 2005 00:51:16 +0000 : nysus

This change removes the maximum dimensions and file size text appears in
the description for uploading user profile images (avatars).  Drupal
appears to handle the resizing of images automatically now so text is
not needed.

Fri, 22 Jul 2005 00:59:40 +0000 : nysus

Bug in above patch (missing paren) fixed.

Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:48:31 +0000 : mathias

The maximum width and height dimensions still apply when there is no
image library installed (see user_validate_picture()). Maybe we could
detect if an image library is present and inform the user their picture
will automatically be resized to dimension x and y, otherwise the text
is displayed as it presently is.

Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:30:37 +0000 : Dries

I didn't even know we could run without an image library installed.  Is
that a valid scenario, or more of a left-over from the Drupal 4.5 era?
If possible, I'd prefer having one way of doing things, rather than
having a new and old way of doing things.

Sat, 23 Jul 2005 08:13:04 +0000 : Bèr Kessels

I am all for a image-toolkit-only system. But I am a bit concerned that
that will rule out a lot of people who have no access to the server/php
set up.

So, would it be worth it, for sake of usability and ease-of use to
demand a toolkit for thumbs, and leave those who have no server softwar
efor hendling images without avatars?

Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:02:19 +0000 : Steven

-1 on this.

For one thing, it still makes sense to inform people what the maximum
avatar size is. Don't underestimate how many avatars are custom made
for a particular site.

Secondly, it is important to know the maximum size for animated
avatars... if they go over the maximum size, they are resized and come
out as static images. Without this info you would need trial and error
to figure it out.