[drupal-devel] [feature] Prefill 'path' field on new node form

jakeg drupal-devel at drupal.org
Wed Jul 27 17:54:29 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/27155
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/27155

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    path.module
 Category:     feature requests

It shouldn't be implemented as a hook, that is overkill. Apart from wiki
modules, you may generally want to be able to submit a node with any
number of the fields prefilled (i.e. not just 'path' but other fields
as well... though I can't think of an example right now). Having lines
such as the one I suggest for those fields is the only way to make this
possible without individuals having to hack the core and update their
hacks each time there's a new release.

jakeg

Previous comments:

Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:43:52 +0000 : jakeg

I'm creating wiki-like features on my site so that if someone with the
permission to create new pages goes to a 'page not found' page then it
gives them an option to create a page at that address (i.e. at that
path, so if they goto /somepath they can easily create a page with path
/somepath).

To do this its very handy for the 'path alias' field on the new node
page to be pre-filled with a value using e.g.
node/add/page?edit[path]=somepath in the same way that you can prefill
the title field using node/add/page?edit[title]=sometitle

I've got this to work by adding the following line to path.module at
line 211 as thus:

      case 'form pre':
        if(!$node->path AND isset($_GET['edit']['path']))
$node->path = $_GET['edit']['path'];
        $output = ...

... my line is the 'if' line in the middle above.

Could this be added to core? I'm sure others could find it handy and it
would save me from having to rewrite the line on every upgrade. If it
can't be added to core, is there anyway for me to put this line into my
own custom module somehow so that I don't have to rewrite it every time
I upgrade?

Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:18:31 +0000 : leafish_paul

Not a patch, but I quite like the idea.

Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:22:09 +0000 : leafish_paul

Here you go, ready for voting.

Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:40:16 +0000 : Bèr Kessels

Hmm. I am not sure. In this way, it can only be used by the wiki module.
And IMO it is a bad thing to facilitate single implementations in core.

In other words: I would definitely +1 this were a more general
solution. So, what about a hook? IMNSHO that is actually over the top,
a hook, but it would help other modules that want to fiddle with the
path too.