[drupal-devel] RFC: drupalversions.module

Jeff Robbins lists at jjeff.com
Thu Jul 28 15:45:09 UTC 2005

Well if you're thinking about adding a hook ( hook_version()?? )
anyways, why not just use that info for this? Developers could stick
the $id$ tag in there if they want, or they could choose to update it
manually... or both...

I propose that hook_version() would return a keyed array with several
defined keys, such as:
'version', 'cvsversion' ($id$), 'created', 'last updated', 'author',
'maintainers', 'contact', 'copyright', 'description', 'homepage',
'readme', 'install', 'dbfiles' (might tell installer what to install),
as well as an array of 'supported systems' containing the Drupal
versions for which the module is presumably compatible.

Maybe this is getting out of the 'version' scope... So maybe we're
looking at hook_description() or hook_info() or something along those
lines.

In an ideal world, some of this information would be available to the
admin/modules page as well as the projects.module for display at
Drupal.org.

Also, I believe that patched modules are the responsibility of the site
administrator. I could understand a simple checksum-type comparison,
but I don't think that we should be bending over backwards to support
the chaotic world of patched and modified (a.k.a. hacked) modules.

-Jeff Robbins