[drupal-devel] [bug] Enable/disable user picture option should not exist in two places

Steven drupal-devel at drupal.org
Wed Jun 1 04:53:49 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      4.6.0
 Component:    user.module
 Category:     bug reports

Ah, it seems we prefer to disable the toggles rather than hide them. It
is probably for the best (I've always read you should disable options
if they can be enabled by the user in this session).

I had to generalize the check for search.module a bit, the code is
cleaner now.

Steven

Previous comments:

May 21, 2005 - 01:47 : factoryjoe

Because you can enable/disable user pictures in the PHPTemplate config
pages, that option should not exist under admin/users. And if
PHPTemplate shouldn't handle this option, it should be removed from
PHPTemplate's config screens. This option should be set in one place,
and one place only.

June 1, 2005 - 06:47 : Steven

I disagree... the option in admin/users controls whether users can
upload a picture. This image is always displayed in their profile and
this is a user.module feature.

The PHPTemplate options on the other hand control whether pictures are
displayed next to nodes resp. comments. This is a theme feature.

The two are different and complement each other. Sometimes you may want
users to have pictures, but not have them displayed next to each post.
In that case you could even let users upload larger pictures of
themselves as they don't need to fit snugly next to text.

However you are partially right: it does not make sense to show the
PHPTemplate options if user pictures are not allowed, so we should only
make them appear in the right situation. I've attached a patch for this.