[drupal-devel] Admin theme?

Tom Dobes tdobes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 05:12:19 UTC 2005

On 5/31/05, Bèr Kessels <berdrupal at tiscali.be> wrote:
> that is exactly the non-flexibility we do not not want. Hardoded regexpes etc
> are not an option IMO.
>
> Here is my plan
> * someone needs to update sections module to work with the HEAD blocks path
> API

I will put some time into updating sections later this week or over the weekend.

> * someone needs to code a style or theme for our admin areas
> * we need to put copy-pastable sets of regexpes that a user can paste in the
> sections config.
>
> Note the "someone". I have no time for this ;) But this is an easy route, yet
> it will provide the flexibility. for as Gerhard pointed out /my/ admin may
> not be /yours/. Think of /node/add/forum vs node/add/blog, admin/taxonomy,
> etc. a lot of paths that we will never agree upon, simply because every
> drupal site will use them different.

I completely agree with this.  The idea of some themer deciding what
pages should and should not be considered "admin" based upon his/her
own whim really bothers me.  I want to be able to define which pages
are admin on my site.  A blogger's site may only render "edit" pages
for the admin, so using an admin theme for those pages might be
appropriate.  However, this is terribly inappropriate for a community
site with blogs and a forum.  Whether or not to use an admin theme and
on which pages the admin theme should be used should be a decision
made by the site admin and absolutely no one else.  Sane defaults
could be provided on a global or per-theme basis, but should ALWAYS be
overridable easily.

Sorry to be so wordy, but I feel very strongly about this. :-)

Tom