[drupal-devel] Drupal cache statistics

Nicholas Ivy nji at njivy.org
Wed Jun 1 16:30:56 UTC 2005

Regardless of cache granularity, we will need to validate and reset the
cache somehow.  I see two basic methods:

1. An event triggers the cache to reset.  Currently cache_clear_all()
accomplishes this when we publish nodes, comments, and do certain other
things.  If we decide to cache page elements, perhaps we could use
event hooks that module authors can use to trigger cache resets.  The
challenge is to identify every possible event and consider the
ramifications of each event for each user, but at least the cache is
validated only when needed.

2. Page elements poll the cache for every page request.  When a page is
loaded, the page element computes a cache key and checks for cached
results.  For example, in nodelist.module I used an md5-checksum of the
sql query as a cache key.  If the sql query changes, the cache misses.
In this case, the challenge is to efficiently compute accurate cache
keys and handle stale results, but at least we don't have to worry
about every event in the system.

If we used a functional style of programming, Drupal could intercept
the arguments to certain module functions and check for cached results.
  But we interact with global dynamic variables (including the
database), so this is probably not a possibility.

I don't see a way for Drupal to automatically handle caching per page
element without cooperation from module authors.  So the question is,

1. Do we rely on module authors to hook into every relevant system
event, or
2. Do we rely on module authors to manage their own cache keys on every
page load?

Nic