[drupal-devel] [feature] Ban hosts from the 'Top Visitors' page

breyten drupal-devel at drupal.org
Fri Jun 3 13:40:55 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    statistics.module
 Category:     feature requests

Only a +1. It sounds very sensible :)

breyten

Previous comments:

June 2, 2005 - 07:54 : moshe weitzman

The intent of this patch is to provide an easy way to ban hosts that are
consuming too much bandwidth. Ideal for over-aggressive crawlers.

June 2, 2005 - 07:59 : moshe weitzman

Oops. Here is the latest version.

June 2, 2005 - 12:59 : Dries

Any particular reason we are not storing this in the database?  Storing
it in the database sounds like the better option to me.

June 2, 2005 - 13:15 : moshe weitzman

well, we can't store it in the sessions table because many crawlers
don't persist cookies and thus get a new session for every request. so
we would have to store in a new table and I figured that I didn't need
to add a new query for every page view. it would be a fast query, so
perhaps a new table is OK. any more comments about variable table
versus new table?

June 2, 2005 - 14:14 : breyten

Having a table would allow for a simple query like:

$result  = db_query("SELECT * FROM {banned_hosts} WHERE ipaddr = '%s'",
$_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"]);

which is probably faster than a combined in_array and array_keys I
suppose.

June 3, 2005 - 14:02 : Dries

How about including this in the 'administer - access control - account
rules' page (?q=admin/access/rules).  We'd have to rephrase, and
possibly rework it a little to extend the e-mail and username rules
with IP/hostname rules but it sounds like a logical place to maintain
IP-bans.  In addition, we would be able to reuse the existing SQL
table.  (Let's not use variables!)  Thoughts?