[drupal-devel] inline checkbox for attachements

Sohodojo Jim salmons at sohodojo.com
Sat Jun 18 13:50:48 UTC 2005

A convenient way to use the Attachment feature to in-line images is a great idea.

It may be, however, that we don't need to change the Attachment feature at all, only provide an input filter that knows how to find and insert image tags that reference attachments.

The workflow of the actual upload is intuitive and easy (maybe with a link to more detailed how-to info for the perplexed). We can already de-list an upload which would be a requirement of typical in-lining use case. And the upload assigns an ordinal to the attachment that provides a convenient reference for in-line use.

It would seem that all we need is an easy in-line reference syntax for the filter that doesn't collide with other input mark-ups. For example, __1__ double underscores and attachment number reference could be enough to insert an image on its own line. __2l__ and __3r__ could indicate left and right alignment of attachments 2 and 3 respectively. And for good measure, __1-alt text here__ could be used for adding an alt text attribute.

To reduce complexity, we might default hspace and vspace attributes or provide a global admin setting. And if all that wasn't enough, advanced users might be able to use, for example, __1lh10v4-my picture__ to in-line attachment 1 image with left alignment, 10 pixel horizontal space, 4 pixel vertical space, and 'my picture' alt text.

--Sohodojo Jim--

--

	Jim Salmons and Timlynn Babitsky
	Founders and Research Directors