[drupal-devel] [bug] if postgresql function

igrcic drupal-devel at drupal.org
Sun Jun 19 11:28:06 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      4.6.0
 Component:    forum.module
 Category:     bug reports

Ok, here how it is now. First of all, forget my previous if FUNCTION :)

Currenty im using drupal 4.6.1 and I had that problems with forums. Now
Im using two if functions, because one is required for forums and I
forgot for another another one, but I know that it was called because
of different function parameters (bool, int).

So one for the forum is :
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "if"(integer, text, text) RETURNS text AS '
BEGIN
IF $1 IS NOT NULL AND $1 > 0 THEN
RETURN $2;
ELSE
RETURN $3;
END IF;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

The another one is standard function that comes with drupal
database.inc.pgsql file
CREATE FUNCTION "if"(boolean, anyelement, anyelement) RETURNS
anyelement AS '
  SELECT CASE WHEN $1 THEN $2 ELSE $3 END;
' LANGUAGE 'sql';

Im using it for a while and everything works nice!

Before I posted this topic I replaced function with that one in
 patch  and it worked nice with this one too. But I know that once I
had some error with it (didn't write it down grrr), so im stickin with
the first function, because it work perfectly for me!

And we have to have 2 functions, one for boolean and one for integer!
In mysql it isnt so.

Hope everything's clear now!

igrcic

Previous comments:

May 24, 2005 - 04:32 : cchamilt

Postgresql function "if" is defined to return a boolean value, yet forum
requests an integer - last_comment_uid.

user error:
query: SELECT n.nid, l.last_comment_timestamp, IF(l.last_comment_uid,
cu.name, l.last_comment_name) as last_comment_name, l.last_comment_uid
FROM node n, node_comment_statistics l /*! USE INDEX
(node_comment_timestamp) */, users cu, term_node r WHERE  n.nid = r.nid
AND r.tid = 1 AND n.status = 1 AND n.type = 'forum' AND
l.last_comment_uid = cu.uid AND n.nid = l.nid ORDER BY
l.last_comment_timestamp DESC LIMIT 1 OFFSET 0 in
/var/www/hosts/www.ambigc.com/htdocs/includes/database.pgsql.inc on
line 62.

warning: pg_query() [function.pg-query]: Query failed: ERROR:  function
if(integer, character varying, character varying) does not exist
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You may
need to add explicit type casts. in
/var/www/hosts/www.ambigc.com/htdocs/includes/database.pgsql.inc on
line 45.

May 24, 2005 - 22:07 : patrickslee

I have also encountered this bug and made a possible patch by replacing
IF statements to CASE.
A patch file is attached.

May 24, 2005 - 22:28 : adrian

There is an IF function defined in the database.pgsql function. On what
page is this happening, as what might be happening is that the type
isn't being picked up correctly.

It's defined as IF(anyelement, anyelement, text) returns anyelement.
IIRC. What I have seen happen is that it wants the text field to return
integer, or vice versa.

May 24, 2005 - 22:32 : patrickslee

I found the definition in database.pgsql. It is like this:

CREATE FUNCTION "if"(boolean, anyelement, anyelement) RETURNS
anyelement AS '
  SELECT CASE WHEN $1 THEN $2 ELSE $3 END;
' LANGUAGE 'sql';

So it is actually wanting boolean.

May 24, 2005 - 22:43 : patrickslee

So my patch will work, and we can make it easier by replacing the IF
function to:

IF(l.last_comment_uid  0 AND l.last_comment_uid  NULL, cu.name,
l.last_comment_name)

BTW there is another place in forum.module use IF like this.

May 24, 2005 - 22:45 : patrickslee

Oops... my <>s are stolen.

IF(l.last_comment_uid <> 0 AND l.last_comment_uid <> NULL, cu.name,
l.last_comment_name)

May 25, 2005 - 05:20 : cchamilt

Yes that line works great.
Thanks for your help!

May 25, 2005 - 05:52 : patrickslee

This patch shows another problem.
The last post user will always show "Anonymous" or whatever you
defined.
Looking for solution...

May 25, 2005 - 06:00 : patrickslee

Use this line instead:

IF(l.last_comment_uid <> 0 AND l.last_comment_uid <> NULL, cu.name,
l.last_comment_name)

Don't forget there are two places in forum.module need to be changed.

May 25, 2005 - 06:10 : patrickslee

Oh what have I done! I changed nothing!

IF(l.last_comment_uid <> 0 AND l.last_comment_uid IS NOT NULL, cu.name,
l.last_comment_name)

May 25, 2005 - 10:12 : adrian

perhaps we could also just add more wrapper functions for the specific
types ?

create or replace function IF (integer, anyelement, anyelement) returns
anyelement as '
   SELECT if (($1  0) AND NOT nullvalue($1), $2, $3);
' LANGUAGE 'sql';

Or something.

May 25, 2005 - 10:41 : plj

'' was missing. So what adrian actually means is this:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION IF (integer, anyelement, anyelement) RETURNS
anyelement AS '
SELECT if (($1 <> 0) AND NOT nullvalue($1), $2, $3);
' LANGUAGE 'sql';

I applied that and now forums work -- no module patches. PostgreSQL
7.4.7.

May 25, 2005 - 10:45 : plj

Sheesh. I meant that '<>' was missing. Gotta learn to use that preview
button...

May 25, 2005 - 21:53 : patrickslee

Is nullvalue() a function? I cannot find it in neither postgres manual
nor mysql manual.
Use "IS NOT NULL" would be better as it is more standard-compatible.
SO we have this:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION IF (integer, anyelement, anyelement) RETURNS
anyelement AS '
SELECT IF(($1 <> 0) AND $1 IS NOT NULL, $2, $3);
' LANGUAGE 'sql';

Looks we have a satisfying fix here. Is this fix going to be committed
in CVS for next release?

May 26, 2005 - 00:26 : adrian

hostmaster=# \df nullvalue
                        List of functions
 Result data type |   Schema   |   Name    | Argument data types
------------------+------------+-----------+---------------------
 boolean          | pg_catalog | nullvalue | "any"

But it doesn't matter to me =)

May 26, 2005 - 19:21 : Dries

Can you guys provide a patch?  I don't have a PostgreSQL setup to test
it against.  Will commit to DRUPAL-4-6 and HEAD.

May 26, 2005 - 20:29 : patrickslee

Here you have it.

June 15, 2005 - 10:18 : igrcic

Dont know about you guys but that patch doesnt work for me in drupal
4.6.1!? Im using PostgreSQL.
Instead im using following function that works just fine

if(integer,text,text)

BEGIN
  IF $1 THEN
    RETURN $2;
  END IF;
  IF NOT $1 THEN
    RETURN $3;
  END IF;
END;

June 19, 2005 - 08:55 : Dries

Just so you know: I'm not committing this patch yet because one user
commented that it didn't work.  Waiting for a follow-up from the
PostgreSQL front.