[drupal-devel] file attachment storage

David Norman deekayen at deekayen.net
Thu Jun 30 17:29:09 UTC 2005

This is the type of concern I was trying to fish out, if it existed,
when I started this topic. The issue of files staying in the files
directory that never get submitted to associate to a final post seems
important to me, too. Even if some filesystems can handle 1 million
files, it doesn't seem like the correct way to do organize.

I don't have a 50,000 file problem (yet), but would a patch be welcome
on this (if I get the free time)? I'm thinking either each node would
have its own directory in files, each module would, or both. I'm not
familiar with the famous Craig patch, but is this in line with it?

Option A:
files/1/file.jpg
files/1/another.png
files/2/separatenode.gif

Option B:
files/blog.module/file.jpg
files/project.module/patch.diff

Option C (the ultimate in eliminating filename collisions):
files/blog.module/12/wedding.png
files/project.module/14/another.doc