Drupal foundation (was: [drupal-devel] adsense from google for drupal)

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Mar 1 12:31:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Vladimir Zlatanov wrote:

> > I had my reasons not to recommend .de. ;)
> > We should investigate how much time and effort is needed by other
> > similar foundations.
> :))
>
> > BTW: I do not see this EU-Drupal foundation idea as exclusive to teaming
> > up with the SPI initiative.
> +1
> Teaming up with someone experienced running a foundation like that has a
> lot of pluses like financial, admin, legal, ... It depends if their
> goals, ideas and methods are suitable.

Joining SPI would basically enable us to collect tax deductible
donations from US citizens. Nothing more and nothing less. There is a
similar organisation in .de but due to German tax laws they cannot
_guarantee_ that we will get the money that people send to them on our
behalf. I suspect that they say this to cover their legal behind, but...
Also, this would only be applicable to people paying taxes in .de.

Apparently there is no organisation that can accept tax deductible
donations from all countries within the EU because tax collecting isn't
centralized in the EU.

A EU based Drupal foundation would thus not need to issue tax
deduction certificates but only due its own tax report.

Cheers,
	Gerhard