[drupal-devel] [feature] Unify confirmation messages

Steven drupal-devel at drupal.org
Thu Mar 3 19:38:00 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    base system
 Category:     feature requests

This patch creates a themable function theme_confirm() which is used to
confirm actions everywhere across Drupal (mostly 'delete', but e.g.
used for 'reset' in the menu system too).
I also took the liberty of changing a bunch of messages to be more
helpful in their wording.
A plain message looks like this:
http://acko.net/dumpx/confirm2.png (the red is from the theme)
but some messages also display more info (e.g. mass delete of nodes
shows a list of titles as well).
The idea is taken from the Apple human interface guidelines: there is a
large question, with some more explanation in smaller type below about
what the effects might be of this action. The actions are not labeled
"yes/no", but are verbs that mean something. This is much easier to
end-users than trying to figure out what "Yes" is ("Are you sure you
don't want to abort quitting the program and losing all your work?").
The 'cancel' item is a link rather than a button, because it does not
perform an action, while the confirm button does.
The menu admin especially got some improvements (to distinguish between
menus and menu items in confirmation messages) while node deletion was
changed to support drupal_goto and drupal_set_message.
I discussed this patch with Chris Messina, he might do some more work
on the display after 4.6, but in the meantime this patch is already a
good usability and code improvement.

Steven