[drupal-devel] forum.module dependent on comment.module

Boris Mann borismann at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 19:51:43 UTC 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:18:21 -0500, Chris Cook <beerfan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 09:38:12 -0500, Moshe Weitzman
> <weitzman at tejasa.com> wrote:
> > I don't see any value in a forum that disallows comments.
>
> I think a better long term goal, for forum.module, is to eliminate
> dependance on comments altogether. When trying to integrate
> mailhandler and listhandler so that listserve messages are added as
> forum nodes it feels very strange and inappropriate to add some
> messages as nodes and others as comments. When I was working on this
> it seemed like there was more of a reason it should not be done but I
> don't remember now.

Hmm. Well, this is a bit like we discussed at DrupalCon about how
forum is nothing more than threaded display of nodes. But, to be
clear, having nodes as topic replies is very, very different from what
we have now. In fact, we would have to implement threading output just
for this, and also store next/prev links, much like book.
Actually...it's identical to book hierarchy, except for a different
display...

But that's very much a hand-waving, Forum Next Generation type
discussion. For now, forum responses are comments, so forum requires
comments module. I *have* run sites with comments off everywhere but
in forums.

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bryght.com