[drupal-devel] forum.module dependent on comment.module

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Sat Mar 5 16:12:25 UTC 2005

Op zaterdag 5 maart 2005 03:02, schreef Gerhard Killesreiter:
> What it really means is that there will be more nodes. On drupal.org the
> number of entries into the node table will about double. As long as nobody
> cares enough to provide hard test data to show Dries and us others that
> there is a negligible impact on performance this discussion is just hot
> air.

This is not an argument IMO. A website should always scale. And simply
chopping things up might wiork for some cases, but is not an overall
solution. Lets take an example:
A site with thousands of articles and 10 of thousands of weblinks. If that
starts to perform less good, the solution is not to pull weblinks out of the
nodes system and create its own system, but the solution is to make overall
node performance (AND maintanability!) better.

With the useability improvements the issue of maintainability of large amounts
should be solvable.

> Doing 50 node loads on a single page load can be fun. In contrast, the
> comments get pulled out in one single query.

if ever we go into comments as nodes, we must create some custom and improved
queries indeed. I am thinking in lines of db_get_child_nodes($nid), which
would return an array with all children nodes (comments) from a node.

I will not take such a project on me, BTW :)

Regards,
 Bèr
--
 [ Bèr Kessels | Drupal services www.webschuur.com ]