[drupal-devel] CivicGroups preview

Jeremy Andrews jeremy at kerneltrap.org
Sat Mar 5 21:12:00 UTC 2005

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 16:03:34 -0500
Chris Cook <beerfan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would be more interested in the incoming messages (from the list to
> the forum). My experiments trying to make this work (using either POP3
> or IMPA to access a mailbox) revealed that for low traffic it works
> fine but when the traffic increases the imap_open() process can't keep
> up.

I ran into this will developing the mail_archive module [1].  In
particular, when checking a large number of mail accounts the php imap
functions would suddenly start returning errors.  I finally worked around
this by introducing some sleeps.  Now I'm actively subscribed to several
high traffic mailing lists [2], including the lkml (sometimes >400
messages in a day) and various BSD mailing lists.

I also limit the number of messages that I download in any one connection.
 This is of course configurable.  (I had to do this to prevent browser
timeouts when importing large mbox files).

-Jeremy

[1] http://drupal.org/node/15780
[2] http://kerneltrap.org/lists