[drupal-devel] forum.module dependent on comment.module

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Sat Mar 5 23:12:44 UTC 2005

Negyesi Karoly wrote:
> The original problem was that casual drupal admin switches on forum but no
> comments.

I had someone fighting with exactly this.  He spent more than an hour
setting up forums (taxonomy nightmare), managed to post forum topics,
but never managed to post follow ups.  In the end, he phoned me for
support.  Of course, it took no more than 30 seconds to diagnose and fix
the problem.  Regardless, a pretty frustrating experience.

The point?  For us it's obvious that you have to enable the comment
module to use forums, but for people that are not familiar with Drupal
it is not.  Those people assume that the forum module is self-contained.

> I proposed that forum_help must drop an error message in this case. I got no
> replies on this.

I'd add a check in forum_admin() rather than in forum_help().  Feel free
to share a patch.