[drupal-devel] A Folksonomy module

Boris Mann borismann at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 09:18:12 UTC 2005

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:39:30 +0000, Julian Bond <julian_bond at voidstar.com> wrote:
> I've been thinking a lot and writing code to experiment with a
> Folksonomy module.

> The Taxonomy on the fly module really isn't the same. The key bit of
> del.icio.us style tagging is the free form entry of multiple keywords.
> There should be no onus on the user to force them to select from a list
> and create new entries in the list if one's missing. It should just
> happen.

AFAIK, you've got it a bit wrong. The user doesn't *have* to select
from a list, although the existing taxonomy terms are displayed.
Anything the user enters is checked against existing terms (there is
an option whether to be case sensitive or not) -- so, by suppressing
the display of the term list, isn't this much like a folksonomy?

But, one of the biggies that I have seen come up is personal vs.
global tags. I don't see it as much of an issue, or rather, it just
means that the user is a filter on the existing terms in some UI
displays.

There is also the awtags.module --> http://www.autowitch.org. I
haven't looked at this at all.

--