[drupal-devel] [bug] Throttle doesn't need hook_perm anymore

Jeremy Andrews jeremy at kerneltrap.org
Mon Mar 7 21:51:54 UTC 2005

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 22:39:57 +0100
Steven Wittens <steven at acko.net> wrote:

[...]

> The throttle functionality is only useful for large drupal sites, which
> are not the majority of sites out there ;).

Actually, I don't use it for the throttle anymore.  It is how I can tell
what's going on with the page in general.  If things are sluggish, for
example, I check how many pages have been served in the last 60 seconds.
If it's an abnormally high value, I know to look for a spider or a link
from a busy website, etc.  (It is possible for the "guests online" value
to be low if all the hits are coming from the same IP)  If instead it's an
average or low number, then I look elsewhere, ie making sure that some
other process isn't running on the webserver hogging CPU.

In the end I suppose it really doesn't matter.  I'll use Dries' suggestion
and create a simple PHP block.

-Jeremy